AN EDUCATIONAL VISIT TO THE RESORT MUSEUM OF PALANGA 2020 OCTOBER, 2021 SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER
Integrating Erasmus activities in the Curriculum
Aims of the visit:
- Raise cultural awareness of the local historical and architectural heritage
- Learn more interesting facts about the history of Palanga
- Boost students‘ research skills
- Boost students‘ creativity (by doing the creative tasks)
- Improve teamwork
- Boost film making skills
The activities were intended for the students of I-III grades during their English classes. So far 104 students visited the Resort Museum of Palanga – Anapilis, accompanied by their English teachers Audra Kakliene, Ausrine Janusiene and Kristina Galdike. While visiting the Museum, the students had to answer the questions in the quiz, which had been prepared by teachers A. Kakliene and A. Janusiene. To complete the assignment the students had to read the information on wall displays in different halls of the museum, as well as read the maps, study the photos, exhibits and touch screens. The results of the quiz were discussed in the following lesson at school. Two creative tasks were given to the junior students (they had to choose one of the two tasks), while the senior students had to do additional research at home working as a team. Then they presented the results of the research in the English lesson. Traditional Count‘s chocolate, which they tasted during the English class, helped to better envisage the historical period they talked about in the English lesson. The creative assignments were read in the other English lessons. After the project had finished, the students shared their ideas in the English lesson. Some said there was so much work to do, some said they knew some of the things they had been reading about, but all the students unanimously agreed that they loved these English lessons, they had learned some funny, tragic and important facts about the history of Palanga.
The IIIrd-graders wrote short reports about what they had learned from all this experience.
What opportunities this Erasmus Project provides:
- Diverse learning environment (city library, museum, etc.)
- The final result is aimed at real people
- Opportunities for cooperation (helping a friend, creating things or looking for answers together)
- Time management skills
- Real feedback ( receiving comments , letters from partners)
- Good or excellent assessment
- Tasks manageable for everyone
Creative task: Imagine you are one of the exhibits, people, buildings seen at the museum. Tell your story.
Accumulative assessment: open questions 8 points, creative task -2 points.
Duration: two lessons
How it works: Everyone works at a pace that is convenient for them, they can ask for help from a teacher or a museum curator. Some prefer to work on their own. Others work in pairs or groups. The task does not cause tension. The motivation to complete the task is huge.
Success of the project:
- It is not just good grades for this task
- It is like the first step towards the future success -„I can“
- It is a long-term success – a further desire to take an interest, to seek knowledge
- It is a teacher’s success – an opportunity to get to know the students, their style of learning (individually, in pairs, in a group)
- It is the success of the whole group / class working in a team and cooperation
How to help a student experience success:
- Let’s be creative
- Let’s keep pace with the modern world
- Let’s choose interesting content
- Let’s remember that no two students are alike
- Let’s use a variety of methods
- Let’s set achievable goals
- Let’s encourage them to communicate and collaborate
Some students created short videos about the visit.
Creative writing based on the information and impressions of the visit to Palanga Resort Museum Creative-tasks (.docx)
Students‘ research Students’ research (.docx)
Students‘ Creative Work Students (.docx)
An Educational Visit to the Resort Museum of Palanga Edukacija Kurorto muziejuje (.pdf)
Quiz Anapilis Quiz Anapilis (.pdf)
- CHRISTMAS WORKSHOPS 2019 November – December Christmas workshops (.pptx)